Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 39: Top Songs of 2009 (#20-11)

++++++++++
EDIT: I fixed the link to the Das Racist song, because it was some remixed version and you need to bask in the full glory that is the real version.
++++++++++

Before I get to the list, I just noticed the Grammy nom's came out for 2009, and there are some incredibly confusing nominations specifically the following:

Best New Artist Nominations for:
Silversun Pickups
The Ting Tings
MGMT

Um...what the hell...pretty sure that these bands have been around for a few years, which (at least in my book) might disqualify them from being considered new...you know b/c of the whole definition of the word new and all...so dumb...anyway...

Since I already did the top albums of the year, the next logical progression would be to list the top singles of 2009. Though many of these songs are not necessarily from the top listed albums, I think they definitely define the year musically. Also I'm sure, actually nearly positive, that I'll surely miss at least one or ten songs by the time this list is over, but whatever that's what the comments section is for, right?

Well there are a few ground rules for this list:
-No country music, because that's an oxymoron
-No repeat artist entries (Meaning I can't list the entire Phoenix album)
-Songs must have garnered at least 20 listenings on the iPhone/iTunes playlist
-Top 20 Songs of the Year


And without futher adieu, here is Part 1 of 2 (20-11):



For such an incredibly stupid and simple song I challenge you to listen to it only once. The first time I listened to it I was more dumbfounded than anything, its like, "Really...really? WTF..." and then a moment later you find yourself singing along to it. Maybe not the best song ever but certainly one of the years best earworms.

19. Girls - Hellhole Ratrace


I will admit I wasn't the first to get on board with this band; in fact, after my first listening it took me over a month and a half to come back to this album. Its like a post-modern Beach Boys album meets Frank Black, or something like that. Album is really one of those albums you can throw on and let run all the way through, but I think this was the highlight

18. BBU - Chi Don't Dance


I don't know a damn thing about this band/group/collective whatever, but damn them for putting out a song that took me two full weeks to cleanse from my head, and is now back in my head after listening to it for this list....DAMN YOU... All they do is juke, motherfuckers...you're damn right that's all they do, all they do, all they do...

17. Lady Gaga - Paparazzi


Tell me I'm wrong.

16. Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat


Just because its not serious doesn't mean its not good. There's no way someone could make a list of the top songs of 2009 and neglect this song. I mean they're basically mocking the relatively little amount of skill that's required to make a great hip-hop hook and chorus, and its chock full of Auto-Tune and T-Pain. If you disagree with me you need to take a good hard look in the mirror, and ask yourself," Self, why am I such a cock?" Proceed to then trim your face/neck/chest stache and go back to bed.

15. Blood Bank - Bon Iver


I've never really been on board with Bon Iver, for whatever reason. I always got that there's talent there, but until now the talent was completely wasted on me. This song has convinced me to give up any preconceived Bon Iver impressions I have had been holding on to and go back to give this band another look. The haunting vocals and quasi-depressing lyrics combined with the stripped down approach to this song have definitely kept me listening. I have a feeling that if I give this band a second chance, I might find myself quickly obsessed...

14. Wilco - One Wing


This is fairly sad considering Wilco is one of my favorite bands of all time (you better believe that's coming later). I didn't (and still don't) really appreciate Wilco's 2009 effort as much as perhaps I should, but I did think this was the highlight of what was an otherwise fairly unremarkable album. Now I say unremarkable, but that's only in the context of Wilco, its certainly remarkable enough compared to other bands; hence its appearance in this.

13. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Don't Haunt This Place


One of my favorite bands of the year, hands down. In this song it sounds like they're doing their best Dismemberment Plan or Pavement impression, but with the backgroundvocals and incessant tinny drumming in the back its a pretty damn awesome. It was hard to narrow this one down to just a single song as the album as a whole is very very solid, but I think this is the right choice. P.S. Run, don't walk, to piratebay or iTunes and get this album (Hometowns) ASAP.

12. Brother Ali - Good Lord


Perhaps I'm a little biased by the Minneapolis rapper's hometown, but with fewer and fewer actual rappers out there, and more and more Auto-tuned R&B tracks becoming mainstream, its refreshing to hear someone who can not just rap, but straight own the genre.

11. Passion Pit - Sleepyhead


Synthesizers, keyboards, and just all out ruckus on this track. Though this song has gotten a lot of play on commercials and movie trailers, especially as of late, its still pretty damn awesome. One of the more original sounding songs to come out this year. If you don't know this band you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment