Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 40: Top Albums 2009 (#10-#1)

10. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks


Though this song has probably already been crowned the Indie Song of the Year (or decade perhaps) by some of the websites that actually hate music, I'm not quite sold. I mean its a good song on a good album, but there are so many better songs to come out this year (9 to be exact). However it is far too good to be ignored. I love its Little Big Planet style "we don't take ourselves too seriously" music video and wacky sound effects. This is definitely one of those "grower" songs that gets better with each listen.

9. Julian Casablancas - 11th Dimension


The son of John Casablancas and ex-frontman/current-frontman for The Strokes, Julian Casablancas finally released his solo album in 2009. Having ridden The Strokes popularity (and musical talent) wave for as long as possible, they sort of took a hiatus in 2006, and Julian branched out to form a totally different sounding band. Just kidding, this is basically another The Strokes (I hate typing that...another The Strokes, is it kosher to say another Strokes and omit the extraneous The?) album and in a lot of ways its better than their last effort was. The retro 80s synthesizer (and what I hope is a keytar) and Casablancas voice all mix for one hell of a song and what I hope is a resurgence of The "actual" Strokes.

8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll

2009 might just be the year of Karen O. Scoring the Where the Wild Things Are movie trailer with one of the best songs of the past 10 years (Arcade Fire - Wake Up), along with also composing the entire soundtrack for that movie all along with releasing a fantastic YYYs album all while somehow still fitting in a tour shows both her devotion to the music, and just how goddamn talented she is. She has one of the most distinctly recognizable voices in all of music today and her half Punk Rock / half Pop Rock all meshes perfectly with her style.

7. Atlas Sound - Walkabout

Definitely the leading candidate for this year's Indie movie of the year (think Garden State, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno...) all good movies don't get me wrong, but they definitely try and target a certain demographic with their movie trailers (ahem...I'm looking at you Where the Wild Things Are). With Aziz Ansari having recently named this the best song of the year (especially bold considering he didn't even confer with me before doing so) this has all the makings of the indie darling song of the year, and its hard to disagree. As an aside I'm not sleighting Aziz I think he's outstanding, he's just sort of that IT indie comedy act right now, more power to him. As I was saying, its one of those songs that falls into this suddenly very emergent genre of what I'm calling Nrop (there's something there, wait for it...nrop, yup). Noise + Rock + Pop = Nrop...and I'll bet you dollars to donuts (no idea what that actually means) that it's in some indie film at some point this upcoming Oscar season during a quintessential part of the plot...just you wait.

6. Animal Collective - My Girls

Another Nrop All-Star band, Animal Collective's My Girls is one of those songs that took me multiple listens before I finally got it. Its currently one of my most played tracks on the iPhone (along with the entire Veckatimest album), and its really one of those songs you either love or just don't get. If you're not totally on board with it yet give it a few more listens, if that doesn't help go back to listening to Michael Jackson and go on with your life. The intro to this song really sells it for me, the high pitched repetitive three note riff with the hollow distant sounding voices introducing the song before the rest of the instruments get involved is unforgettable.


5. The Decemberists - The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid

The 2000's version of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit, this epic song is just one part in the orchestra worthy Hazards of Love album (had to drop that video in there, still stands as the best concert experience of my life, still gives me goosebumps, if you can't enjoy that you need to check your pulse). As with any of The Decemberists songs the lyrical context may sound out of place without garnering the back story beforehand (trust me I know it sounds lame, but The Decemberists are essentially incredibly talented musical storytellers; all of their albums tell some overall story through each of their songs). Playing off of the song before it, the organ introduction accompanied by the unforgettable voice of Colin Meloy and his immense vocabulary eventually escalates to a choral harmony before crashing down and transforming into the aforementioned White Rabbit with Shara Worden on lead vocals. Her incredible vocals take over, turning the song into a 60's revivalist rock anthem. Truly epic song.

4. Kevin Devine - Brother's Blood

I'm not sure whether I have a built-in bias when it comes to Kevin Devine because of a highly memorable performance with his former band (Miracle of 86, also awesome stuff) in the coffee shop at Luther College during my Sophomore Year (Marty's for those keeping track at home). Whether I do or not, it shouldn't discredit the ability of this skinny flannel wearing motherFer. The guy gives it his all at every single performance unleashing an assault with his uniquely (and somehow strangely appealing) shrieking voice and barrage of guitar thrashing. Kevin Devine (and the Goddamn Band, as they're called) is probably the most underrated artist out there, and while I'm sure it won't be long before Pitchfork reviews one of his albums (giving him a "truly uninspiring" 4/10, while simultaneously giving Lil' Wayne a 9/10...just ridiculous) I'm trying to enjoy it while I can before it becomes cool to hate on him. Either way this is my list so if you don't like this guy or this song there's nothing I can do about it, if you haven't heard him I HIGHLY suggest checking out his latest album, it is outstanding from start to finish.

3. Discovery - So Insane

The King of the Nrop songs this year comes from a collaborative effort between members of Vampire Weekend and Ra Ra Riot. This song is somehow incredibly enhanced by its insistant tempo change, along with incredibly addicting earworm-esque hook. The entire albums is outstanding and warrants a lot more attention than it got upon release, as far as I remember it got exactly zero attention. A must own album and an outstanding track from it.

2. Jay-Z - Empire State of Mind (ft. Alicia Keys)

This needs absolutely no introduction, it'sprobably Jay-Z's best single and it nearly took the top spot on this list. Alicia Keys' belts out her usual outstanding vocals which offer a nice contrast to HOVA's typical monotone rap style. Incredibly great song.

1. Phoenix - 1901

And here we are, the #1 song. "But isn't this that song that's on that Cadillac commercial that's been played to hell for the past 3 months?" Yes, yes it fucking is. I will not apologize for that, they've gotta feed their family. Even regardless of that this was by far the most played song on my iPhone/iTunes with over 75 plays, for me this song epitomizes the best music of the year (notice its place atop my Top 25 Albums of the Year as well). This French Pop/Rock band was unknown to me before their 2009 masterpiece Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Since the discovery of that album, their other three albums have become regular staples in my rotation. The first time I heard 1901, which was way back in February now, I wondered if in fact this was the best song that would come out this year. Turns out it was, at least in my book. And now its probably gained notoriety among elitist bloggers (ahem...), but guess what its a great fucking song.


Agree? Disagree? Don't know any of these songs? Feel free to weigh in on the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Your #1 song and album... AMAZING!!! Love it!! As for most of the rest on this list, I will need to acquaint myself with it. Always good to expand the horizon and my musical horizon is in need of expansion so thanks much for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon, yeah the rest of that album is superb as well. Was torn between Lisztomania and 1901 but both are fantastically awesome songs.

    ReplyDelete